Friday, May 26, 2017

Live Demos Over the Internet

Isn't technology wonderful! It is now possible for demonstrations to be conducted live over the internet with the demonstrator operating their own equipment in their shop and presenting to a chapter across the country. One of my clubs, the Gwinnett Woodworkers Association had Lyle Jamieson do a presentation like this and I was impressed. It was absolutely like he was there in person.
Advantages to a club:

  • The opportunity to see a demonstrator they could not get to their club meeting.
  • Lower costs because there are no travel costs. 
  • In many instances, better video than a club gets with their own camera operator and equipment because the demonstrator has a better lighting and video setup than a club might have.
Advantages for the Demonstrator
  • No travel
  • Using their own equipment with more options to show tools and have backup if there is some type of equipment failure
Here is a link to a presentation by Alan Zeinrich who is a woodturning pioneer in this area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxKFbc0tnk

Is your club interested in having me do a live video demonstration? 
I would be interested in working with you to make this happen. I have not done one yet but do not think it would take too much effort to set up for one. The biggest constraint is the club must have a broad band internet connection and a champion willing to work with me to make sure we were both fully operational.  If you have some interest, let's talk. You can message me through my Facebook page, my Youtube channel (send me a message through my About tab), or look me up in the AAW Membership directory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment