Friday, January 17, 2014

Chris Ramsey Visits the Chattahoochee Woodturners

What a treat it was to participate in a workshop with Chris Ramsey on making mini hats! Chris is a great guy and great workshop facilitator in addition to being a skilled turner. I successfully turned the mini hat  shown here from Bradford Pear. The hat stand is turned from spalted pecan and is based on a design by Michael Gibson.  Also shown is the workshop group photo. Out of the 7 participants, someone pointed out that 4 have served as a chapter president at Chattahoochee Woodturners and one at Gwinnett Woodworkers.

Yesterday I made a mini hat bending jig, located some large rubber bands and am about ready to start turning more.

I watched him demonstrate turning a full size hat at Chattahoochee Woodturners and Georgia Association of Woodturners. I think I will turn a few mini hats before I tackle a full size hat. It is a lot of work harvesting a block of wood large enough for a full size hat.

Below are the workshop participants, Left to right, Dan Albertus, Wes Jones, John, Doug Graves, Dan Douthart, Me, Jerry Chandler and Chris Ramsey the instructor.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! You know I love my minis. I need it a little smaller, though.

    ReplyDelete