Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Turning Toys

I just bought Richard Raffan's new book Turning Toys. I find

Amazon a real bargain on books, especially when they first hit the stands. Seems like the price gets a bump after a few weeks. Anyway I saw this cute pull toy that looked perfect for my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter Poet. I hope she likes it. The body is Bradford Pear, the tail is walnut and the wheels are Osage Orange. Finish is Mylands friction polish. 

Another project he illustrated were these cute little people he calls "Peggies". They all are sized to fit a 35mm hole that I drill in the set of cars, buses, airplanes, helicopters or whatever.  This picture shows the full set. Some are painted with acrylics and some are decorated with felt tip pens.  They are a lot of fun and very fast to turn. I made a little wood template to make sizing faster.

 This makes my fifth Raffan book.  He does such a great job explaining technique and providing excellent pictures to illustrate. Even though I have been turning a while, I always find a new idea or technique or a better understanding of why he does something a certain way.

No comments:

Post a Comment