Monday, December 2, 2013

Using Spiraling and Texturing Tools

My first real exposure to the Sorby spiraling and texturing tool was when Dave Ingmire came to my shop back in 2008 and showed me how to use one to add some pizzaz to a platter.  Shortly thereafter, I ran into a great sale at Hartville Tool and ordered one. Hartville has some great prices typically and free shipping and was having a 20% off on Sorby tools so how could I resist? Here is a picture of an acorn box with a walnut lid where I did a cross hatch texture with the spiraling tool. 
Spiraling/texturing works well for bowls and platters as well as boxes. Click Here to view or download my latest article published in the December 2013 issue of American Woodturner showing some of the tricks I learned.

Here is a link to an earlier post showing an umbrella handle that I spiraled with a cross hatching.

No comments:

Post a Comment