Monday, September 23, 2013

Turning Southern Style XIX


Just got back from a weekend in Dalton at Turning Southern Style. Featured demonstrators were Cindy Drozda, Stuart Mortimer and Jerry Kermode. There was a little concern when the auctioneer was a no show but Nick Cook stepped up and they took in $9000 at the auction, the second highest take in the symposium's history. I don't know what the final turnout was but one of the free drawing winners was 231. I heard a lot about color from David Nittman (photo at right).  Too bad I was not able to take notes as I was operating the camera. I do remember that tinting is adding white and shading is adding black.

Stuart Mortimer is an amazing turner and I look forward to spending two days with him on Oct 7 and 8 at the Chattahoochee Woodturners. Oct 7 will be an all day demo and there is still room for more attendees. Contact me for more information if interested.

Wes Jones designed and built lathe shields for all of the demonstrator lathes. Here is Cindy Drozda turning behind one. Steve Pritchard actually was able to test the shield during one of his demonstrations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment