Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rub 'n Buff

Rub 'n Buff samples
I picked up this Rub 'n Buff metallic wax technique from watching a Russ Fairfield YouTube on finishing with colored wax and applied it to some chatterwork. I think it gives a very nice effect on the darker Mopani box. Less so on the other two. If you etch your name on the bottom of your dark wood pieces with an engraver or burning tool on, it fills in the spaces and really shows up nice. I bought antique gold but there is also silver and some others. I understand you can buy this stuff at Michaels, but I bought a small tube of  from Amazon for $6.I posted this on a website and one poster, bob Bergstrom, provided this, "You can buy Pearl Ex or other mica powders and mix them with paste wax. That will give you many more colors at a much cheaper price. 40% off coupon at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Once the rub n buff is open it will dry out in the tube. Mica powders can be mixed with lacquer or oil and even sprayed through an airbrush. I dry brush it often and lightly spray lacquer over it."

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with that darker Mopani box, but they are all beautiful. I have some Rub and Buff, but have yet to use it. You can also buy it at Hobby Lobby. With the 40% off weekly coupon, it's pretty inexpensive.

    Vanessa from GWA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I did not think about the 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, Vanessa. Mopani is beautiful. Bonnie Klein, a famous turner, is credited with saying Mopani is her absolute favorite wood to turn. I had never heard of it before a son gave me a 6x6x2 bowl blank he picked up at Rockler for Christmas a year ago. Cutting it up for boxes seemed like the best use for me instead of making a small bowl.

    ReplyDelete