Saturday, January 5, 2013

More on Threading Cutting

I have been getting ready for my demonstration on January 12 in Homewood, AL with the Alabama Association of Woodturners. It is a long one, 2 1/2 hours compared to the local clubs that generally only take an hour and a half.  I have been trying to do some hand thread chasing at least once a week to maintain and hopefully improve my hand thread chasing. I find it very satisfying making little threaded boxes and experimenting on threading new wood like Mountain Mahogany, Katalox, Bocote, and Zapote. Still holding off threading that small expensive piece of African Blackwood I bought at Woodcraft.

I am excited about being selected to demonstrate a couple of times at the Southern States Woodturning Symposium. I still have to refine my demonstration descriptions but they will probably involve threading. 

I am eagerly awaiting my newest threading toy shown here. It is a threading jig from the UK I bought off eBay. At about $170 it is a bargain compared to the other commercial jigs available costing more than twice as much. It is hard to find but search on eBay using "thread cutting jig". I will be submitting a written product review on this to Woodturning Design magazine after I get some use with it.

2 comments:

  1. Mike, I got this Thread Cutter for Christmas. I comes with very limited instructions, so there is a learning curve. The first box I treaded came out perfect. I thought how easy this was going to be, but turns out that that was just luck -- My next three failed. The jig does not have gauges on the adjustment knobs, so I put a mark on the knob for referrence. Through trail-an-error I determined that 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 turns of the adjustment knob gave me the thread depth that I needed. I have since threaded four boxes with success. The instruction say to thread to a depth of 1 MM, but without an adjustment gauge on the knob, I have no way of measuring that -- 1 1/4 turns seems to be close. I have problems figuring these things out, so am looking forward to your review -- maybe even a video.

    Bill Bulloch
    Orchard Hill, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. Just got mine today. Looks well made. Hope you enjoyed the demo tonight at Gwinnett Woodworkers. Long drive for you.

    ReplyDelete