Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hand Thread Chasing

I have wanted to be able to add threads to some of my projects like lidded boxes. I have been working with a couple of fellow turners on making a threading jig which may be the way to go. We have acquired all of the parts but the project has been on hold for almost a year due to higher priorities with the rest of the team. This reminds me of a saying attributed to George Washington commenting on military staff, "What one man can do well, two can do less well and three can scarcely do at all." I may have to go it alone on this threading jig. But meanwhile, I decided I might try my hand at hand chasing. A friend of mine, Peter Lamb, actually gave me an opportunity to try it out and it looked like fun. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos by Sam Angelo on hand chasing which were all good. You can find them here http://www.youtube.com/user/WYOMINGWOODTURNER?feature=watch. Peter directed me to Mark St Ledger, a US turner who actually makes and sells hand chasers. Unfortunately, he is out of stock and won't have more til late summer.

So I picked up a set of Sorby 16 TPI thread chasers. I decided to make the tool armrest and a relief tool shown here.


The relief tool is an 1/8" allen wrench cut back a little with a flat on both sides. The tool armrest is designed to cradle the female thread chaser as it extends over the tool rest. I got the idea from Richard Raffan's book, The Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodturning. It is made from a 1/4" carriage bolt 9" long I picked up at Lowes for a couple of bucks. Easy enough but it did take some grinding. So I practiced on some Osage Orange and on some Dogwood. I was able to get some threads cut. There is a learning curve to hand chasing so I will have to get back to you with the final results. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Mike, I just ran across this. You are probably doing great by now. You might try a soaking coat of CA and allow it to harden naturally before cutting threads in less than perfect woods. If you cut though the hardened wood, re-soak. It takes a while for the CA to harden. Hope that this helps.

    Marshall Gorrow

    ReplyDelete