Saturday, July 28, 2012

Donuts and Coffee Article

On June 7, I demonstrated how to turn one piece coffee scoops using a doughnut chuck and the two piece style for the Peach State Woodturners. On June 14, I did a similar demonstration for the Mountain Laurel Woodturners.

You can download my article on doing these with emphasis on making the chuck published in the August 2012 issue of American Woodturner by clicking here.

Feb 8, 2013 updates: I discovered the versatility of the Nova Live Center system. The cone that comes with the system is perfect for supporting the ball end while finishing the handle.  I love the versatility of this high quality live center system. It has three bearings compared to one for most OEM live centers and two in the Oneway or Powermatic live center.

Here is a shop made captive ring tool I made from an inexpensive HSS tool bit blank from Enco. It is 8" long and 1/4" in diameter and costs less than $3. You can also use it to make a round skew, Drozda Vortex tool, pyramid tool and more. Order more than one blank! Flatten both sides and then cut the "cat's claw" with the corner of the grinding wheel or a rotary Dremel style tool with a stone bit.

4 comments:

  1. Mike, I just started turning in April, read your article when it was published, and tried it out. What fun!! I made a donut chuck that threads on my spindle, and have been making scoops for Christmas presents. Your article inspired me to try something really new, and greatly expanded my turning skills.
    thanks,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really excellent posts on this web site, thanks for contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there would you mind letting me know which web host you're working with?
    I've loaded your blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this
    blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a
    good internet hosting provider at a fair price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a free blogsite by Google so I do not deal with a web host.

      Delete