Saturday, February 25, 2017
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
Here is a link to the short video I did on the second set. I did quite a bit of research to come up with a design I liked with a knight I thought I could carve. The design is one I saw of a Soviet era Russian chess set I saw on the internet. The light pieces are Bradford Pear and the green pieces are Persimmon. I am pleased how the chess sets turned out but more so on the opportunity to find something else for me to do together with my granddaughters.
If you are interested in making a chess set, check out the post I did last April on the first set I turned.
I did a complete video series with lots of detail on making a chess set. It is the set my granddaughter is studying above. I have scale drawings to that set under the Resources tab.
Saturday, January 14, 2017
I was asked to make some offering plates for my small church. I was honored and got started. I used kiln dried red oak and here are the three plates I turned. This presented several challenges:
- Getting the right wood. I attempted this a few years ago with white oak that was still green and most of the blanks and rough turnings cracked. Kiln dried wood is the only way to go. But it did require jointing two pieces to get 12" blanks.
- coming up with a design that will allow them to stack
- making them identical
Wes Jones, a member of my club wrote an article on this for the American Woodturner and was gracious enough to allow me to post to my website for others to use.
Here is the video I made for this project.
Sunday, December 25, 2016
My next personal goal is to achieve 10,000 subscribers. This milestone will qualify me for a few additional perks from YouTube on account management and learning opportunities.
Happy New Year, Ya'll.
Friday, December 23, 2016
The project has a two part video. I also made a handout to go along with the video that is available on my Resources page and is called Danish Bird H.O.
If anyone can figure out how to keep the end grain eye white please post in the comments. End grain absorbs finish so the maple end grain eyeball tended to blend into the same color as the oak birds. I tried lacquer sanding sealer and also CA.